Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ladies and gentlemen, we are potty learned.

It started yesterday when I looked at the box of diapers I just bought and swore it would be the last box of diapers I ever buy. I wanted her to be using a potty during her waking hours, in the very least, when we leave for New York this spring.

So I brought Ro downstairs in the morning, dressed in a short cotton dress and diaper, and set out her sporty red Baby Bjorn potty on a snazzy Mexican oilcloth mat decorated with huge pink and red roses, and I asked her if she needed to use it. She laughed and sat on it and hopped back up and I went about getting breakfast ready. A little while later she patted the front of her diaper and said, "Peepees, Mama?" And I said, "Do you have to go peepee?" And she said yes, so I told her to take off her diaper, which she did, and she sat down on the potty and peed!

!

I left her naked and over the course of the day she sat down and peed eleven more times, without having to ask me first, without missing, without worrying about it interrupting her play, she just stopped what she was doing, sat down and peed.

Today we had a poop, which she just sat down and did, without saying word one. She stood up and went, "Poop, Mama." And I jumped up and she's just grinning and I looked in the potty and there it was.

In less than 24 hours, Ro has ceased needing diapers during the day. This is some kind of miracle.

No comments: